A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian 
Well this gets a big meh. It felt like paint-by-numbers noveling: take a fucked up family, add some culturally sensitive and upsetting history, intersperse it with a quirky thing one of them does. So: two embittered, estranged sisters have to work together to help save their aging father from the much younger woman who has her talons in him / parents came from the Ukraine and survived war and purges and internment camps and other horrors / dad is (when not trying to fondle his new wife's big
There is an episode in the comedy sitcom Mind Your Language, where Jeremy Brown's motley crew of students drawn from all over the world to learn English tell jokes to pass the time. Juan Cervantes, the Spanish bartender, tells a hilarious joke: at the end, he is in stitches, unable to stifle laughter, because the joke is so funny. The problem is, it is wholly in Spanish, so nobody else in the class can understand.This novel left me feeling like one of those class members.This is the story of old

That's what he is writing, a short history of tractors. In Ukrainian. Eighty-four years old, an engineer, a chess player and a father of two daughters, he had been recently widowed. Now he decides to marry a 36-year-old blonde Ukrainian divorcee with a teenage son and a pair of superior breasts. He knows that she wants to marry him only for his money and so that she and her son can make permanent their stay in England (where he and his family had migrated a long time ago) but he looks at her
A librarian co-worker recommended this book to me, describing it as funny and quirky. She knows I come from a Polish family and frequently recommends Russian, Polish, and other Eastern European literature. I find it interesting to read as I was not brought up with any sense of E. European culture, and this book made me wonder what I would be like if I had experienced more Polish-ness. The story revolves around two sisters in their fifties who must sit back while their recently-widowed father
Tractor AttractionI knew that this book existed for some time. However, something about the title didn't attract me. I think I have always assumed that I would prefer a book about American tractors. Then one week I saw it again, bought it and read it within a week. I was ready for it. Our lives had mysteriously moved into alignment.Not So Secret Family BusinessAlthough it is set within a Ukrainian British family and it takes hilarious advantage of this fact, it reveals a lot about families
I hated this book. It took me so long to read it. I was recommended this book by my friend in work who is also a big reader. We had been discussing "the 100 year old man that stepped out the window and ran away" as we had both read it and loved it. I explained how I had a soft spot for books about old men. He suggested I read this book as he said it was similar. I can see the similarities but I just hated the old man in this story.He angered me and so did his stupid daughters. I hated all the
Marina Lewycka
Paperback | Pages: 326 pages Rating: 3.4 | 26134 Users | 2632 Reviews

Particularize Books Supposing A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
| Original Title: | A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian |
| ISBN: | 0141020520 (ISBN13: 9780141020525) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Nikolai Mayevskyj, Vera, Mike, Nadezhda, Valentina |
| Literary Awards: | Booker Prize Nominee for Longlist (2005), Orange Prize Nominee for Fiction Shortlist (2005), Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction (2005), Saga Award (2005) |
Chronicle As Books A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian was bestselling author Marina Lewycka's bestselling debut novel which has sold over one million copies worldwide. Lewycka tells the side-splittingly funny story of two feuding sisters, Vera and Nadezhda, who join forces against their father's new, gold-digging girlfriend. Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamorous blonde Ukrainian divorcée. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside. Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must aside a lifetime of feuding to save their émigré engineer father from voluptuous gold-digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth. But the sisters' campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe's darkest history and sends them back to roots they'd much rather forget . . . .Itemize Containing Books A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
| Title | : | A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian |
| Author | : | Marina Lewycka |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 326 pages |
| Published | : | August 28th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published March 31st 2005) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Contemporary. Humor. Cultural. Ukraine |
Rating Containing Books A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
Ratings: 3.4 From 26134 Users | 2632 ReviewsAssessment Containing Books A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
This was a surprisingly touching book about a (very) dysfunctional family. I don't usually like this kind of book, but I was totally hooked it kept me up at night a couple of times - it's that good.I disagree with the reviews, however, which invariably claim that this is a hilarious book. It was funny and sad at the same time. When it was funny, it was chuckle-funny, not lough-out-loud. It's more of a real-life story about people and their problems, blown out of proportion with (slightly)Well this gets a big meh. It felt like paint-by-numbers noveling: take a fucked up family, add some culturally sensitive and upsetting history, intersperse it with a quirky thing one of them does. So: two embittered, estranged sisters have to work together to help save their aging father from the much younger woman who has her talons in him / parents came from the Ukraine and survived war and purges and internment camps and other horrors / dad is (when not trying to fondle his new wife's big
There is an episode in the comedy sitcom Mind Your Language, where Jeremy Brown's motley crew of students drawn from all over the world to learn English tell jokes to pass the time. Juan Cervantes, the Spanish bartender, tells a hilarious joke: at the end, he is in stitches, unable to stifle laughter, because the joke is so funny. The problem is, it is wholly in Spanish, so nobody else in the class can understand.This novel left me feeling like one of those class members.This is the story of old

That's what he is writing, a short history of tractors. In Ukrainian. Eighty-four years old, an engineer, a chess player and a father of two daughters, he had been recently widowed. Now he decides to marry a 36-year-old blonde Ukrainian divorcee with a teenage son and a pair of superior breasts. He knows that she wants to marry him only for his money and so that she and her son can make permanent their stay in England (where he and his family had migrated a long time ago) but he looks at her
A librarian co-worker recommended this book to me, describing it as funny and quirky. She knows I come from a Polish family and frequently recommends Russian, Polish, and other Eastern European literature. I find it interesting to read as I was not brought up with any sense of E. European culture, and this book made me wonder what I would be like if I had experienced more Polish-ness. The story revolves around two sisters in their fifties who must sit back while their recently-widowed father
Tractor AttractionI knew that this book existed for some time. However, something about the title didn't attract me. I think I have always assumed that I would prefer a book about American tractors. Then one week I saw it again, bought it and read it within a week. I was ready for it. Our lives had mysteriously moved into alignment.Not So Secret Family BusinessAlthough it is set within a Ukrainian British family and it takes hilarious advantage of this fact, it reveals a lot about families
I hated this book. It took me so long to read it. I was recommended this book by my friend in work who is also a big reader. We had been discussing "the 100 year old man that stepped out the window and ran away" as we had both read it and loved it. I explained how I had a soft spot for books about old men. He suggested I read this book as he said it was similar. I can see the similarities but I just hated the old man in this story.He angered me and so did his stupid daughters. I hated all the


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.